Thursday, September 11, 2014

Cali Trip - 4

On Monday morning, we found ourselves in Ventura. We stopped to check the waves, and once again, got the last good parking space..at 7:30 in the morning on a weekday! The waves looked doable for me, but the crowd looked tight and I didn't feel like this was something I wanted to try without good local knowledge. I called a company called Ventura Makos Surf Camp and they offered me a guide, wetsuit, and board for 2 hours for $100. This seemed like a great deal, especially since he showed up at my spot in about 45 minutes. He told me where the rocks were, how to find the channel, and most importantly, guided me into the lineup to get some waves. Even with the big crowd, no one seemed unhappy that I was there or kept me from getting waves. The scary part for me was the waves seemed to popup at the last minute. I mean every ride was a late takeoff. First wave was one of the biggest I had ever ridden and I immediately flipped out..I saw rocks on the shore and it was high tide! We then moved a few feet over to where Avery said we could pick off waves all day long instead of waiting for the occasional big set. This was more like my element, and I started having real fun. Now I know how my clients feel. When you are in a strange environment, not only are you doing something different, you have an adrenaline rush the whole time. This was truly an unforgettable experience and Avery was someone that made it seem easy...I would definitely use that company on my next trip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment