Thursday, September 11, 2014

Cali Trip 5

We keep calling this, the trip of happy accidents. We made almost no plans, except to fly into San Diego and fly out of San Francisco. The rest was going to be just whatever happened. And some really cool stuff happened. Avery, my surf guide had told me we would have a hard time making Big Sur in one day if we stuck to the coast and he suggested we stop at Pismo Beach, a kind of college break town. We ooohed and ahhhed at the coastline until Pismo beach, where it pretty much looked the way Avery described. We found a reasonable hotel room and Pam got the girl at the desk to help us find a good place to eat. She spoke of a pizzeria about 10 minutes down the road. We went and almost didn't get out of the car. It didn't look like much and wasn't crowded. 40 minutes later, we were stuffed with some of the best Lasagna either of us have had in our lifetimes. Del's Pizzeria in Pismo Beach, check it out...I'm not even gonna talk about the rolls....mmmmmmmm.
We pulled out of Del's and Pam suggested we drive down a side street to take a last look at the ocean before hitting the hotel room. We came to a tiny park in a subdivision of ordinary houses and saw the view you see above. 4 couples were sitting there on benches watching the sunset. I remember one young woman saying, let's make like a tourist and take a photo! And I'm thinking, the day I know my life is over, is the day when I can look at something like this without wonder....

No comments:

Post a Comment