Thursday, July 13, 2017

Letters From Nicaragua: Part 2

I was prepared for landing in Nicaragua with my wife and a giant paddleboard. I knew it would be a challenge because neither of us are fluent in Spanish, although my wife continues to surprise me with the words she knows. Things actually went pretty smooth until I realized that I had to go through customs.

Somehow we ended up in line behind the most elegant Latin family with the wildest bunch of kids I've seen. My best guess is the nanny cancelled on them at the last second. Although I could not understand 99% of what the parents said to each other, it was pretty clear that the dad was not carrying his end of the deal. At one point I saw the universal 'its your turn to hold the baby' gesture. The mother was beautiful like a model. It would have been nice to see what a smile looked like on her face. Fortunately for us, our hotel sent a driver. He sailed us through the last bit of crunching my board through one more scanning machine and as we left, I got one last glance of two of the kids playing catch across the whole customs area. Someday I will be that carefree entering Nicaragua...


No comments:

Post a Comment