Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Back On The Hike Again: Floridians In Sandals with Socks

It's pretty easy to tell that backpackers like to have their own little bit of flair. Maybe it's hiking in a skirt (when you're a guy that is, I don't think girls ever do that). Maybe you prefer retro old timey gear, or just maybe you like hiking in sandals. From the very first time I set foot on a trail with Paul, he has been all about the sandals. The idea is that you are lighter, cooler, and a little bit more careful about where you step. That sounded really good on paper, but when Paul's sandal started cutting into his ankle last trip, we almost had some real trouble. One of the main things you do not want when backpacking, is anything wrong with your feet or legs. You don't want be the person that has to be carried out, supposing you could find somebody that could do it. For example, there is no way Paul could carry me out of the woods. I'd just be left with a bottle of water and a knife to kill all the bears and wolves that would attack me.
Yes, the sandals were attractive, but the issue of getting your feet hurt by the straps or sliding on the bottom was important. It is here that I, a Floridian by birth, surfer by nature, suggested that we wear socks with our sandals. And...it worked great! I hiked almost the whole trip in a pair of Croc Swiftwaters, with some really good Smartwool socks, just so folks didn't think I was uncool. Paul tried the same thing, and pretty soon we had decided that the next trip, we would just leave those heavy trail shoes at home. I was very proud of myself, until my wife told me that I'm not allowed wear this getup once I'm back in Florida. She said that it's bad enough getting old without having a husband dressed like that.
The only problem with my Croc's were when we found ourselves walking on smaller rocks, kind of like a bed of large gravel. The soles of the sandals couldn't quite handle that much change. When we hit Daleville, once a shower and food were a done thing, we began the walk to the Outfitter's store where I was surprised to find two awesome things: 1) They had a lot of cool stuff, some of it on sale, including sandals and 2) Right next door was one of the best coffee places around.  I ended up with a pair of Chaco's for 30% off, and I'd never even seen them discounted a bit before. I really like those sandals. They are heavier, but the sole can handle any of the terrain we encountered. It only took 3 half mile hikes to the store to get a pair. The first time I went home and my box contained two left sandals, and the second trip the guy somehow managed to give me two different color sandals....at that point I almost kept the mismatched pair as my own personal flair for the trail.
The biggest surprise, however was the coffee shop. I should have known better, from my trips out west. We tend to think, in Florida anyway, that good strong coffee can only be found in urban environments. Somehow thinking that rural folks don't like to spend their money on caffeine jolts. Well, that is just wrong thinking, my friend. Everybody likes caffeine and will spend their hard earned money on it, including backpackers. And they like those 5 hour energy little bottles as well. The coffee place, Mountain Coffee, looked like not much of anything from the outside and I kind of chuckled walking over to it, to see what passed for a coffee place in this one horse town, and then I opened the door...to a place full of old timers, and young people. There was a long line at the counter and the wall seemed lined with containers of different kinds of coffee beans. There were the obligatory alternative young guys working behind the counter and lots of home-made-looking pastries under the counter. I got mine and sat down for the next hour, thinking I have found my new home away from home. It was sitting here, and meeting the people coming and going that I found that though the town itself is small, there are plenty of folk around with nice cars, nice clothes, and time to spend in a nice cafĂ© like this...I made sure I kept my pack close to me so that they understood why I was wearing these socks with the sandals...


No comments:

Post a Comment