Tuesday, May 1, 2018

A Wee Camping Trip In The Highlands: Part 11: Booooked at Ben Nevis



Thursday turned out to be day 2 of staying in Fort William and it seemed we’d done little, but that little bit had been great. Either we were spending all of our time in the best parts of the country, or we were  going to need a bigger vacation!

The days started like this: I'd wake up around 6-7am, and hear rain and freezing wind outside. I'd get up and make coffee while Pam pulled the covers over her head. We were surrounded by our stuff everywhere. This was the opposite of our big house. If we were in the bed, the suitcases were on the table. If I wanted to use the table while Pam slept, the suitcases would be in the aisle…and so on. It really was like a small sailboat inside. Next time, I'd need to bring collapsible suitcases…and less stuff.

Pam would finally get herself together around 11am and we would have had a bowl of porridge, which tastes just as good as oatmeal, only the locals eat it cold. By the time we got the van all packed up, it would be almost lunchtime, but we hadn't eaten a lunch yet on this trip. Our internal clocks were so off that we were eating right when we got up and when it got dark. On this day, we actually made it about a mile down towards town, before I saw this cool little strip of asphalt  that said “Ben Nevis Ahead”.  I did find out that the largest mountain in Scotland is not really named after a guy named Ben. It is the closest English sounding phrase to the Gaelic name for the mountain, which means “poisonous really bad place”…so I  really had to go there!


We drove for almost 30 minutes down a road that finally was something just like what I thought Scotland would be: little country roads with no traffic and sheep everywhere. I was kind of surprised that the sheep were really not that friendly. They stood right by the side of the road looking at you, but if you stopped and tried to converse with them, they quickly took off. My best guess is that they associate people less with food and more with somebody that grabs them roughly and gives them a fast shave.
We finally came to the end of the beautiful road and found that our van was too big to park in the little car park. We headed back, but I was determined to put my boots on Ben Nevis, and sure enough, not a single mile from our campground in the other direction, there was a visitor center and the trail. Pam and I hiked for several hours and I have to say  that hike was worth the price of coming to Scotland. We spent the first 15 minutes of it admiring the young lambs and their mothers, while hanging over a barbed wire fence, not knowing that soon we would come to the end  of the fence and have sheep everywhere all around us. Never close enough to pet though. They were always eating, while keeping one eye on those dodgy hikerfolk.


In Scotland, a great thing has to end perfectly and this one did. When you come down from the hike, there is an true pub on the trail. We went there and had great food and drink once again. I guess these guys do not understand how much more money they could make by serving crappy food. I hope they never find out.

From there it was on to Fort William, a cool little town with lots of tourist traffic. Pam and I were quite a team with me pulling into yet one more roundabout yelling “Tell me what to do!” while endless streams of small cars caromed through the circle. “Look right, go left!” she replied encouragingly. We got lost, took wrong turns, and laughed about it all. We were not on a timetable, and she was able to look at all of the beautiful buildings while I wondered how much easier it would have been to ride with a group on a bus.

Pam wanted some British Pounds to spend and searched for a bank. She finally found one and after about 3 U turns, I pulled our giant camper into the world’s smallest bank parking lot, taking up only 2 parking spaces this time. I had that smug satisfaction of having made it into a tight spot with a split second decision, wondering why a bank would have such a tiny parking lot. Then I looked up at the sign “The Bank Of William Inn and Restaurant”. No, there was no shouting. We just laughed and Pam got out and stopped traffic while I backed our monster vehicle out into the busy road. Thankfully, even the tourists in Scotland are nice drivers. We finally were able to get some sterling at the local Post Office...which was staffed by folks just about as surly as the ones we have.
There was only one really upsetting thing about the day. The van was just not working right. The power for the back went off and would not come back on. Almost everything that went wrong was fixable and the support staff was quite good, but Pam wanted a pound of flesh. Every call to support had her in the background, telling me what I had better tell them. I think they finally felt sorry for me and said that they would deliver a new van to our location. Their only request was that I keep Pam from hurting their driver.
Well, there are some things in this world that are universal, and men from any country can understand the plight of a man whose wife is on his case. 

We decided to stay another night in the Ben Nevis campground and discover if that restaurant nearby was really that good, or did we just happen to order the one dish they did well…no, it was not a fluke.


The dinner started off nicely with a beautiful young woman asking Pam if we were “booooked”. Pam said “Whaaaaat?”, and immediately fell in love with the girl’s accent. Pam finally understood that in Scotland, you "book" a table, you don't make a 'reservation'.  Pretty much the rest of the night was spent with Pam trying to get the girl to talk so she could imitate her accent. Truly, I could barely understand her, but I knew that back at home, she would be fighting off the boys. Pam told me, no worries, there was a hot scruffy-looking young guy working the bar, and the girl kept mentioning that he surfed and they rode mountain bikes together. They like downhill riding here. With the sloping mountains everywhere, I could see how they’d do it. Perhaps I would get a photo at some point...



No comments:

Post a Comment