Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Finally Survived A Left!

One of the really cool things you can do while paddlesurfing is to ride a wave, get off the wave at the right time and paddle right back out to look for another wave. You save a lot of energy and it looks pretty tight. I got this down about a year ago, but was never able to pull the maneuver off going left (backside). I'm not sure what it is, but most surfers find that doing anything backside is more difficult. Even better than being able to ride a left and get off the wave without "dismounting" is getting it on video. The video here was taken last week and the first wave shows what normally happens and the second wave shows me looking like doing it was no problem at all.
The biggest downer about GoPro footage, is that you feel you were doing something awesome and it just looks OK when you watch the video. However that does make me think about what most be going through the minds of guys riding those 75 foot waves. If it looks that big to me watching, I can't even imagine what it must feel like in the moment. Anyway, I have a pretty good idea of what it's going to look like now when I take the GoPro and don't have huge expectations. It is nice to document the first time you get something right!

No comments:

Post a Comment