Thursday, April 21, 2016

Building a Kayak Trailer From A Kit

I just finished assembling my first big deal kayak trailer and I feel pretty good about it. I saved about $600 doing it this way. The one thing I forgot about was cheering too soon about avoiding sales tax by buying it online...They got me at the tag office anyway...arrrrgh.
This project was a Yakima Rack N Roll, which is a lot of money to lay out for something that comes in a box but it was pretty easy to assemble, assuming that you have some metric sockets and wrenches.

I've actually built a trailer from a kit before, but it was an inexpensive galvanized canoe trailer from eTrailer. It was a great trailer, very hard work putting it together and it lasted for many years. I did have to go to a metal shop and get a reinforcing beam for it that added $150 to the inexpensive price, so I decided this time to buy something quality that was super light for my little car.
The Yakima rack filled that very well and I'm getting ready for my first trip with it soon. Even with the large expense and quality components, mine arrived with 2 defects: a broken light lens, and a stripped nut...a critical nut. I was able to replace the nut with something similar from the local hardware store for $4, and Yakima quickly sent me a replacement lens.
I now feel like I know a lot about my trailer and how well it is put together....would I recommend this project to a friend? Nah....pay the extra money, let somebody else deal with the missing/broken parts, and let them handle the warranty stuff. However, if you are in a place where you have no choice but buying one online, I really liked the service I got from Rackwarehouse.com.

2 comments: