Friday, February 13, 2015

Florida Waves In February

Thursday, 2/12/2015 was a day that was well hyped in the local surfing predictions, so the water was full of surfers, even on a weekday. We have had lots of wind and swell and the prediction was that the wind would clock around offshore. It did and we had big, beautiful waves. This also meant an awesome day for the best surfers and lots of frustration for the rest of us. 15+ mph offshore wind meant the waves LOOKED like you could catch any of them, but most of the time you would get blown back off the face. It was more difficult than I thought it might be on the paddleboard, and that might be why I was the only paddleboarder out for a while. I probably caught more waves than I would have on my surfboard, but losing your board on a wave is way worse when you have to swim with a paddle in your hand. We surfed at Lori Wilson Park in Cocoa Beach, plenty of surfers and plenty of waves to get. I was able to time the sets and get right outside, but after riding a few I got stuck on the inside and had to take my beating. It was tough enough that I couldn't hang onto my board on the inside. Bottom line, not a wussy day...more of an adrenaline rush!
Short video of waves on Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment