Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The 80's Hairband Pivot

It’s hard to believe where I am right now, writing this. It’s 8:30am, 45 degrees out and I’m sitting on a campstool in front of a fire in the woods. I know, I brought my laptop on a camping trip and I’m writing instead of exploring….but this trip has been MUCH stranger than that. First thing is, I’m in Anastasia State Park, in Saint Augustine, Florida, in the middle of December. What with my extreme amount of free time available to me recently, Ed’s Eco Adventures needed little excuse to go out and find the nature in Florida. I have been waiting and waiting for good weather and suddenly we have some. I didn’t expect a lot out of this trip, except that Pam wanted to see the Christmas lights in Saint Augustine and my Dad offered to loan his camper so we wouldn’t have to sleep in a tent in the cold. The Aliner camper is great and my truck pulled it like it was just a bigger kayak trailer. We took a leisurely drive up A1A, seeing beautiful glassy waves and occasional groups of surfers. We got into the campground and I was immediately amazed at how nice it was. A lot of privacy in our space and I backed that trailer right in like a pro..except Pam wanted it moved over 5 feet to the right, 15 minutes later, yelling and moving to and fro, I finally got the trailer right…next time she’s backing it up.. We had the perfect campsite for me: deep in the woods and yet only minutes from calm, serene blue waves, clear pristine sky and only a short drive from the scenic old town of Saint Augustine and a night of slowly walking hand in hand, thinking how far away we were from the rats-in-a-cage life of the city. Suddenly I heard, “Ayup, Test 1, Test, Test, Test” from what seemed like the PA system from a large outdoor concert arena. I’m going what the hell, is Woodstock next door? I then read the fine print on our campground paper that said we hope you don’t mind the occasional concerts at the amphitheater nearby. Then they started testing the drums, and then the guitar…dude, that guy was good at lead guitar. Next the band does a sound check with “Paradise City” and I realize, this is a very good cover band. I get on the smartphone to check this all out and sure enough, PaperCutt, a local 80’s lipstick and makeup band is performing at 8pm. Starts at 8pm?! When I’m out camping in the woods to get away from the city noise? Hmmmm… When confronted with this situation you: A) go buy some earplugs B) go complain to the management C) go to the concert and rock out D) none of the above There is only one correct answer, C. Pam and I became headbangers for the night. The band was great and I loved some of their over-the-top antics like repeatedly using a can of hairspray on their wigs, but the music was solid, good music, and the crowd just roared like an audience twice the size. We stayed for the first 3 encores and then went back to the camper and to sleep with the sound of the band performing one last rendition of “Paradise City”. And if that isn’t the definition of a Pivot, I’m not sure what is…..

No comments:

Post a Comment