Wednesday, December 3, 2014

First Fish From a Paddleboard!

I never thought it would be fresh water, and I never thought it would be in Lake Maitland, nor two fish in ten minutes. It was all a surprise today. I was out for the morning paddle and decided to bring along my cheapo shakespeare ultralight rod, which I'm pretty sure has never landed a single fish before this day. It was small and I had low expectations. I had a similar issue when I first started fishing from a kayak. You had to bring stuff, and you had to stop paddling to fish, and you really needed to put in somewhere near the place you wanted to fish. Today was totally random: overcast, cool, no wind, and me with nothing but 2 pound test line and a purple worm on a weedless hook. The funny thing was I was using a fishing technique from back when I was a kid; cast into the shallows and just let it sit there for a while, then slowly drag back in and see if something takes a swipe at it. The first fish took about 3 attempts before I hooked him, and the second fish I caught after I saw him splash and cast right on top of him. I was lucky they weren't larger bass, because my rod is so soft, that it was enough to get them in and get my camera out, while keeping the fish on the board and not falling in....in Lake Maitland! The hardest place for me to fish, and I'm poor at freshwater fishing in general....but I'm working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment